Click here for the most up-to-date version of Swarthmore Borough's Ordinances.
Listed below is a summary of some of the most commonly asked rules and regulations in the Borough.
As a Borough resident, you are responsible for the following:
- Clearing a pathway of not less than 30'' on the sidewalk in front of your property within 24 hours after the end of a snowstorm (after the snow has stopped falling).
- Trees trimmed so that no branch is less than eight feet above the sidewalk or roadway. The fine for failure to comply with the regulation is $50 for the first notice and $150 for each subsequent notice.
- Shrubbery trimmed at least six inches back from the public sidewalk or roadway. The fine for failure to comply with the regulation is $50 for the first notice and $150 for each subsequent notice.
- Keeping a clear sight triangle at intersections.
The fine for failure to comply with the regulation is $50 for the first notice and $150 for each subsequent notice.
- Dogs licensed in compliance with Pennsylvania law and vaccinated against rabies and leashed at all times while on public property.
- Cleaning up after your dog!
- House numbers clearly visible from the street.
- Lights and reflectors used on bicycles at night.
- Removal of invasive bamboo
What's not allowed?
- Removal of street trees (those located within 25 feet of the center of the adjacent street) without written permission from the Borough.
- Fences within 50 feet of the center line of the street except in certain locations (call the Borough office before installation!)
- Parking commercial trucks in residential areas.
- Parking on posted snow emergency routes until 24 hours after the end of a snowfall.
- Sump pumps, roof downspouts, and floor, patio, or yard drains connected to the sanitary sewer system.
- Septic tanks.
- Unkempt properties, uncut lawns, and high weeds.
- Burning trash or leaves.
- Discharging any firearm, spring, or air gun, or the propelling of any object with a sling shot, bow, or blowgun.
- Littering, including abandoned automobiles.
- Loud noise or music.
- Signs or flyers on utility poles, posts, trees, or between the sidewalk and the curb.
- Rooms or garages in residential districts converted into apartments by installation of cooking facilities.
- Operating a bed and breakfast without a permit.
- Operating a bed and breakfast in an accessory structure.
- Planting of bamboo