- You Are Here:
- Building & Codes
- When do I need a permit?
When do I need a permit?
Permits are required as follows:
- Building Permit . Construction, enlargement, alteration, renovation, remodeling, demolishing or moving of a structure and for removal of asbestos and underground storage tanks. A permit is not required for ordinary repairs, such as repainting, pointing, replacement of doors and windows within existing openings. Download the form here.
- Roofing. Download the form here.
- Sidewalk & Curbing. Download the form here. Construction specifications can be found here.
- Driveways, walkways, and accessory buildings over 1,000 square feet.
Download the form here.
- Fences. Download the form here.
The Borough's Fence Ordinance can be found here.
- Plumbing. All plumbing work, except that work that involves only the replacement of fixtures, working parts of a faucet or valve or the clearance of stoppages. Download the form here.
- Electrical. Download the form here.
- HVAC. Installation of heating or air conditioning equipment except window air conditioners. Download the form here.
- Sprinkler System Installation. Download the form here.
- Sign Installation. Information about the signage requirements in the Town Center, including a Signage Overview and a Detailed Drawing of a sample window and the Application Form can be found here. For signs other than in the Town Center, please call the Borough Office.
- A Stormwater Management Permit is required for any new, additional, or replacement impervious cover greater than 499 square feet and earth disturbance activity greater than 4,999 square feet. The application can be found here. Simplified rules may apply if the proposed cover is less than 1,000 sq.ft; click here for more information.
GREEN POINTS APPLICATION - Interested in going green and reducing your permit fees? Building permit fees may be reduced by up to 50% for new building, renovations, or additions that utilize environmentally friendly practices. Each point is worth 1% of the building permit fee. Points are awarded to those items that exceed current code standards. Download the "Green Points Worksheet" here. If you have any questions please contact the borough office.
Permits and/or licenses are also required for:
- Operation of a Bed and Breakfast establishment
- Operation of a day-care center
- Installation of a sign outside of the Town Center
- Transient retail business
- Excavations between the curb lines of any street
- Subdivision and Land Development (application)
How much will it cost?
Fees for permits and licenses are set annually by Borough Council. Click here to download a fee schedule for 2021.
Is there a licensing requirement for contractors?
State law requires home improvement contracts to register with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office. Contractors doing residential work in the Borough must provide proof of their registration with the Commonwealth and required insurance coverages. Additionally, all plumbing contractors and any contractor doing commercial work is required to register and pay an annual license fee to the Borough.Click here to download the form.
Do my plans have to go before the Zoning Hearing Board?
All building permit applications are reviewed by the Borough's Zoning Officer. If the proposed project does not meet the requirements of the Borough Zoning Code, or requires a Special Exception, the applicant will be referred to the Zoning Hearing Board to apply for a variance or special exception. Zoning Hearing Board applications can be found under "Forms" on the front page of the website.